Bert,

The example of SNOMED is a good one.

Looking at SNOMED we must ask the question:
Are words in a dictionary proprietary?
Do we have to pay for the use of these words in our conversations?

Of course the answer is: NO.
We have to pay for the medium: the book, the CD-ROM, the application.

The maintenance of the words used in any language is most often paid
for by the State.
Language is a free commodity.

SNOMED is a Reference Terminology.
When local users map their local codes to SNOMED codes only the
Terminology Server that does translations using SNOMED needs a licence.
In its proposed pricing scheme SNOMED will ask more money from rich
countries (millions) and very small amounts (ten-hundred Euro;'s)
from poor countries.
The are very sensible and indexed to the Gross National Product.

Gerard

--  <private> --
Gerard Freriks, arts
Huigsloterdijk 378