Veriquant, LLC

tel  828-685-1302
fax 828-685-1957

randy.neall at veriquant.com

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gerard Freriks
  To: For openEHR technical discussions
  Cc: grahame at jivamedical.com
  Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 16:07
  Subject: Re: Antw: Re: EHRcom/openEHR the new exciting paradigm

  Dear William,

  Either the brave Dutch are stupid or very clever to become almost the only
nations on this earth to vote negative on:
  the CEN/tc251 EN13606 EHRcom and HISA standards.

  I know one thing for certain.
  Based on the openEHR specification in TNO project we have one working
implementation from Sweden using Java and one from Australia using .Net.
  And besides openEHR and CEN/tc251 are based on several working
implementations produced in many European projects.

  Not only the theoretic foundation is in order,
  the implementations are there,
  and they work as claimed.
  It can be proved this solutions are scalable.

  I know that there are parties that started to implement HL7v3 messages on a
large scale and encountered scalability problems.
  There parties are changing there point of view and are moving towards
CEN/tc251 EHR related standards.

  To read recently in a HL7 e-mail list a discussion dealing with the
definitions used in HL7 with respect to several of the founding classes of the
RIM (Entity and Act) and the confusion in the documentation is a tell tale
example of only one of the  serious problems in the HL7 community.
  And all this after 10 years of work and the production of tons of
documentation that can not be printed.

  You can reverse any statement I make.
  You can decide not to believe any statement I make,
  as you and several of my country fellow man did when we were discussing
EN13606 EHRcom,
  lets see how history will prove who is right and who is wrong.
  So we stop this debate and see how things evolve in time.

  In the end what matters is, not only that the healthcare sector is able to
express what they want,
  but can it Plug-and-Play be implemented without reprogramming.
  And then I'm confident that openEHR and CEN/tc251 EHRcom plus HISA will
provide just this,
  because it was in our requirements, also, from the start.

  I agree.
  There is only one patient, with one  problem that needs our unified attention
and devotion.
  So we have to co-operate.
  But we have to continue to discuss and provide arguments and listen to the
arguments given.
  Instead of attacking persons, as I have been able to observe several times it
to happen in the Netherlands.

  Lets start the real debate.
  Patients and healthcare providers need real solutions that empower them.

  Gerard

  --  <private> --

  Gerard Freriks, arts

  Huigsloterdijk 378