> make archetypes quite brittle. i.e. when the archetype definition
> is loaded into the clinical system I either have to consult the
> URL straight away and store the resulting codes, or else delay
> the binding and risk having the terminology codes for my
> ADL disappear in the future?
>
>  why would that happen? This isn't semantic brittleness in the archetype -
> the meaning doesn't change; it may be that you don't have a reliable
> deployment environment. This is why we built the Ocean Terminology Server to
> provide a query cache for any user site.

So is the URL just a name/ident for the terminology (ala XML namespaces)
or an actual "I'm a HTTP server URL, send me a GET request for some codes"..
I can understand how the first adds no extra brittleness - but surely you
can see how the second adds more than just meaning into the
archetype. Embedded in the 'meaning' is the configuration for your
deployment environment.. so whether the URL is http://snomed.org/query2323
or http://127.0.0.1:111/query434, the archetype now has embedded within
it a commitment to maintain that particular server, at that particular port
under that particular name running for the life of
the archetype. If I decide to deploy a new local terminology server
5 years down the track, do I need to get my system administrators
to load each archetype in the system and manually change the
port number of the server in all the term binding URLs?

It just smells a bit funny to me - I can't put my finger on exactly why
or propose a better way, but it just gives me the vibe of something
that could come back and bite people on the arse down the track.

>  as I say, that's what I thought we would be doing a year ago; experience
> has shown that we need to push things apart by one further level, and only
> allow subset query ids in archetypes (remember - these are what is mapped to
> the 'ac' codes; you can still put snomed or whatever codes in the 'at' code
> binding part if you want).
>
>  None of this is simple and it has taken both us (in the industrial context)
> and the Manchester group over 5 years from the statement of need to get to a
> solution - which looks quite simple now we seem to have it (or be close),
> but I have to admit, we were groping in the dark for a long time....

I admit I am playing catch up here and I accept that your results are
from quite a bit of experience on your part - can you give me a brief
background on the reasons for the change in thinking from
a year ago with embedded queries in the archetype to the current
thinking.

Thanks

Andrew