From: openehr-technical-boun...@openehr.org
[mailto:openehr-technical-bounces at openehr.org] On Behalf Of Sam Heard
Sent: Sunday, 11 March 2007 7:49 PM
To: dclunie at dclunie.com; For openEHR technical discussions
Subject: Re: ECG archetypes

Hi David

Absolutely not - what we need are readers that can make sense of data as a
blob and get these specified as suitable for use in an EHR. Do you recommend
any very good or very widely used specs which have readers that are publicly
available?

Cheers, Sam

David Clunie wrote:

Hi

I hope you guys are not considering "yet another standard" for

the encoding of bulk ECG data (as opposed to referencing it

or wrap it as a blob).

ECG's are analogous to images from radiology; large amounts

of bulk data, highly specific meta-data of little or no interest

to non-image aware applications and well-standardized already

by DICOM.

Unfortunately, ECG device and distribution vendors have been

slower to adopt standards than the medical imaging device

vendors, and so there are a plethora of them, SCP-ECG,

DICOM waveforms, HL7 V2 waveforms, and the FDA HL7-CDISC XML

submission standard, not to mention just storing a picture

of the ECG in a PDF file (the IHE consensus solution).

These standards also address the annotation of the waveforms

and the conclusions drawn from them by the acquisition device,

and it is probably only the latter that would be relevant to

be extracted into the EHR.

David

PS. As to the wrapping versus referencing question for the bulk

binary data, I just got through sending a 1.4GB 2,600 slice

cardiac CT angiogram to a colleague, which I presume nobody

would be crazy enough to base-64 encode and embed in an XML

document, for example. The point being that wrapping things

is not a scalable solution.

Mie Faerch Jensen wrote:

Greetings all;

We are two graduate students from Aalborg University, Denmark, taking our

master in Biomedical Engineering and Informatics. In this semester ?our

finale, we are working with complex data interoperability to an Electronic

Health Record (EHR). We are following the openEHR?s EHR architecture
standard,

and therefore also working with archetypes.

We have a few questions we would like you to help us deal with.

- What we are trying to investigate is how to represent a recorded
ECG-signal

in an archetype, and therefore we are wondering what the status is on
dealing

with ECG-signals as an archetype? So far we haven?t been able to locate an
ECG-

archetype, only the description of it as an observation-entry.

- We have described workflows and clinical information guidelines for the

observation and clinical evaluation of an incoming ECG-signal, but we are a

bit confused on how to map the clinical information guidelines to an

archetype. Can anyone give us an example on how this mapping is done?

Best regards

Mie F?rch Nielsen og Louise Pape S?rensen

Aalborg University, Denmark,

Master in Biomedical Engineering and Informatics,

10th semester

Reply-email: 06gr956d at miba.auc.dk

openEHR-technical at openehr.org

openEHR-technical at openehr.org

Dr. Sam Heard
MBBS, FRACGP, MRCGP, DRCOG, FACHI

CEO and Clinical Director
Ocean Informatics Pty.  <http://www.oceaninformatics.biz/> Ltd.
Adjunct Professor, Health Informatics, Central Queensland University
Senior Visiting Research Fellow, CHIME, University College London
Chair, Standards Australia, EHR Working Group (IT14-9-2)
Australia

    Ph: +61 (0)4 1783 8808
    Fx: +61(0)8 8948 0215
UK