As part of the ongoing specification work this year, we have started to
build some resource pages for the various specifications. One of them
concerns a querying solution for openEHR - see the wiki page at:
http://www.openehr.org/wiki/display/spec/openEHR+Query+Specifications

I have uploaded the Ocean Informatics developed 'Archetype Query
Language' (AQL) as a candidate solution for querying archetype-based
data. As explained in the query specification home page, AQL can be
treated as a starting point for defining a normative openEHR querying
language, or it may be considered to be one candidate amongst several,
if there are others available. Ocean Informatics undertakes to continue
the development of this language in the openEHR space, so that if the
openEHR community wishes to use AQL, the most recent modifications will
be available.

The timetable we have initially suggested for openEHR is to have a solid
development draft ready in Q3 2008, i.e. before end September. See the
roadmap for the current delivery plan -
http://www.openehr.org/specifications/spec_roadmap_2008.html . A stable
release should probably be available by mid 2009.

The current material is therefore intended as a resource for discussion
and definition of a query language for openEHR. A team can be defined
after sufficient time for the community to react to this material and
determine if it makes sense to use AQL as the basis or to seek other
solutions or candidates.

- thomas beale