Hi All,

I have a use case which I am having quite hard time to model. The thing
is in fact very simple to express with a tabular list, spreadsheet or
XML - which we do not fancy much because ADL is claimed to have much
more expressive power (well in general yes)!

Here is the use-case:
A CLUSTER archetype for depicting the anatomical sites of a finding for
a given organ. The clinical domain is digestive endoscopy but this
applies to others I think.

So we have an _organ, then list of sites and a list of "modifiers"_
which further specify a particular site. The simple modelling strategy
to model each organ with an ELEMENT and then putting sites as values
might work given that these "modifiers" can be expressed in the
archetype separately and tell the application to combine these during
runtime. Another option is of course using terminology service to get
the proper semantics (i.e. post-coordination and subsets) - but this is
not an option in my case and I must stick with local codes. I talking
about 5-10 sites per organ so it does not make sense to use terminology
service. Also you can say that this can further be specified by
templates  - true but why not putting such simple constraints at the
archetype level - if we say that archetypes represent discrete clinical
concepts for reuse then we should do it at archetype level.

And here is a worse version of the use-case: _a given set of modifiers_
apply to certain - _not all sites_ for a given organ. For example the
modifiers "anterior wall", "posterior wall" applies to fundus and body
sites (of stomach)

Finally here is the nightmare version: _a different set of modifiers_
apply to _different _and _not all sites_ for a given organ. For example
the modifiers "Lower third", "Middle third" applies to "Main duct" site
of pancreas and the modifiers "Left intrahepatic branches", "Right
intrahepatic branches" apply to "Liver ducts" of pancreas.

Of course a (non-elegant) modelling strategy would be to make each site
as an ELEMENT and then the set of modifiers for each and every one of
them as values. Then this might be problematic during GUI design and
also during querying.

Here is what I suggest: add a feature in which some "attributes" can be
specified for values of leaf nodes, like XML. I know this would result
in dramatic changes in RM and tools (and existing implementations) but
the sooner the better if you think this is useful.

Cheers,

-koray

--

Koray Atalag, MD, Ph.D

Clinton Bedogni Research Fellow
The University of Auckland,
Department of Computer Science,
Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand

Tel: +64 (9) 373 7599 ext. 87199
Fax: +64 (9) 308 2377
Email: koray at cs.auckland.ac.nz

database 4265 (20090721) __________