Hi Tom, thanks for the comments. I see your point (and others' who
mailed me directly).

However I am not totally satisfied with the assumption that we can
separate descriptions of information vs. real world  in a perfectly
clear way. I mean the organisation and hierarchy plus the at/ac terms
given in an archetype for a clinical model still gives a lot of clues
about the real world aspects. Am I still missing something here?

So now I'd like to withdraw my previous suggestion and present another:

What about having the means to be able to define a relationship type and
the relationship between individual terms (with at/ac codes) given in
the ontology section. I am talking about really simple relationships but
also aware that this is clearly a duplication of terminology
functionality; however this would greatly ease most of the typical
implementations of openEHR - I mean without going into complexity and
potential performance problems when working with a terminology service.
I can also see relatively easy GUI generation if the relationships
behaviour is straightforward.
Of course for SNOMED and possibly other decent terminologies terminology
service is a must.

The thing I have in mind is like this:

> ontology
>     term_definitions = <
>         ["en"] = <
>             items = <
>                 ["at0001"] = <
>                     text = <"Term A">
>                     description = <"Term">
>                 >
>                 ["at0002"] = <
>                     text = <"Term B">
>                     description = <"Term">
>                 >
>                 ["at0011"] = <
>                     text = <"Term 1">
>                     description = <"Related term">
>                 >
>                 ["at0012"] = <
>                     text = <"Term 2">
>                     description = <"Related term">
>                 >
>     relationship_definitions = <
>           ["is_part_of"] = <
>              items = <
>                 ["at0011"] = <"at0001">
>                 ["at0012"] = <"at0001">
>                 ["at0012"] = <"at0002">
>                 >
>           >
>           ["another relationship"] = <
>              items = <
>                 ["atXXXX"] = <"atYYYY">

Hope I am not pushing too far ;) Any feedback from implementers?

Cheers,

-koray

--

Koray Atalag, MD, Ph.D

Clinton Bedogni Research Fellow
The University of Auckland,
Department of Computer Science,
Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand

Tel: +64 (9) 373 7599 ext. 87199
Fax: +64 (9) 308 2377
Email: koray at cs.auckland.ac.nz

database 4283 (20090727) __________