Hi All,

Over the past several years I have discussed this issue with Tom Beale;
on mailing lists, off mailing lists and in person.

The issue is that Framemaker is a proprietary and basically non standard
document format.  I fully understand that Tom enjoys the desktop
publishing capabilities that it gives him and that he is familiar with
the application.

However, we the "open content" community end up with a proprietary
format (Framemaker) and a dead-end format (PDF) for specifications that
are advertised as being open and available.

It is almost the the ultimate sarcastic humor (on the scale of Monty
Python) that here we are trying to deliver computable healthcare
information and our own specifications are locked up in these two
formats.  We cannot manipulate them into any kind of help files in order
to integrate them into an application and god forbid we think about
machine translation into other languages.

So, I have to ask myself, as well as all of the members of the openEHR
community.  What is wrong with the international, open standard for
document layout; (La)Tex? It seems to work well for all major
publishers, why can't it work for openEHR?

Why do we not insist on our documentation being in a format that is more
useful to us as a broad and open community?

Thanks for listening.

--Tim

Timothy Cook, MSc

Skype ID == (upon request)
Academic.Edu Profile: http://uff.academia.edu/TimothyCook

You may get my Public GPG key from  popular keyservers or
from this link http://timothywayne.cook.googlepages.com/home