Hi Mikael,

You may be interested in our mapping tool, Snapper, which is designed to tackle
this problem for mapping to (not from) SNOMED CT.  It provides extensive
support for mapping to post-coordinated expressions where single-concept maps
are not possible and can be used to create unofficial extensions to SNOMED CT.

More details and a short screen-cast are on our website http://aehrc.com/snapper

Cheers,
michael

--
Dr Michael Lawley
Principal Research Scientist

"Ein Fl?gel und einen Schnabel machen kein Vogel"

On 11/03/10 9:49 AM, "Mikael Nystr?m" <mikael.nystrom at liu.se> wrote:

Thomas Beale wrote:

> On 10/03/2010 22:16, Mikael Nystr?m wrote:

>> I belong to a group that, except for openEHR related research, also do
>> research about terminology systems and terminology systems mapping.
>> During mapping from one terminology system to another terminology
>> system is it quite common to be unable to map properly, because the two
>> terminology systems have divided the domain in different ways. This
>> problem appears even when mapping to SNOMED CT, which have a broad
>> coverage and a concept model allowing a broad set of relationships. My
>> view is that the same problem will appear when finalized archetypes are
>> bound to existing terminology systems.

> it will certainly appear. The question is: for those archetype nodes that
> it is useful to bind to terminology (likely to be 10% or less), how close
> is the match? For example, in labs, it should be nearly spot on. For
> anatomy, it should be pretty close. For diseases, the disease concept in
> an archetype will assume that it is coded in the first place by
> terminology, so the only problem there is mapping problems from ICD to SCT
> etc. I think we need to look at the actual size of the concrete problem,
> not its theoretical worst case.

I agree that we have to wait and see how much problems we will get. That was
also my reason to reply to Sebastian's e-mail which told that there is no
problem to add terminology bindings after the archetypes are finalized.

However, I didn't refer to "theoretical worst case". I referred to actual
problems that have appeared for us during both our research work and in our
national SNOMED CT project in Sweden.

        Greetings,
        Mikael