> In all other industries, the quality of standards is
> measured initially against public safety and then
> against criteria of effectiveness and economic qualities.

it seems you mean, by market testing. If not, do you have an example?

> In all other industries that i know of, standards are
> created by a process whose inputs are already developed
> and productised offerings from companies

I presume you refer to non-it industries. In IT the picture is rather
more mixed. You certainly aren't describing the omg process, or the
itu process, or the w3c process here.

A truly valid comparison would be with IT standards in other vertical
markets. Insurance always strikes me as applicable. Do you have any
examples from these spaces?

Grahame