From: openehr-technical-boun...@openehr.org
[mailto:openehr-technical-bounces at openehr.org] On Behalf Of Erik Sundvall
Sent: Friday, 2 December 2011 8:07 AM
To: For openEHR technical discussions
Subject: Re: Could YAML replace dADL as human readable AOM serialization
format?

Hi!

Let the battle begin :-) see:

http://www.imt.liu.se/~erisu/2011/AOM-beauty-contest.html

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 13:24, Thomas Beale
<thomas.beale at oceaninformatics.com> wrote:

actually, ADL 2.0 as reported in this document is now obsolete. The ADL 1.5
compiler already does this, and will use it as a fast save/retrieve format.

Will cADL become optional or go away somehow?

One area where dADL beats JSON and YAML (I think) is its better support for
Xpath-like paths.

Why would that be different? I guess most path queries will run on
instantiated object trees rather than on documents and then there is no
difference - and if paths were run directly on documents, then please
explain why dADL would support them better.

Plus its much more compact than JSON.

Much? Less noisy I would agree to though.

Personally I find YAML hard to read because there are so many syntax
elements (triple '-', triple '.' etc) but that might just be me.

Have a look at...

http://www.imt.liu.se/~erisu/2011/AOM-beauty-contest.html

...again.

The triple '-' and triple '.' are (mostly optional) start and end markers of
documents that make life easier when concatenating streams/documents, see
the YAML specification.

Am I the only one that thinks YAML is more readable than dADL?

Best regards,
Erik Sundvall
erik.sundvall at liu.se http://www.imt.liu.se/~erisu/  Tel: +46-13-286733