Hi Pablo,

Few clarifications inline.

From: openehr-technical-boun...@openehr.org
[mailto:openehr-technical-bounces at openehr.org] On Behalf Of pablo pazos
Sent: Friday, 9 December 2011 7:16 AM
To: openehr technical
Subject: RE: Questions about the relationship between Instruction, workflow
and Action

Hi Sam, thanks for the answer... I'm having several hours of bad sleeping,
trying to understand this :D

Hi Pablo,

The design principles are that the Instruction should remain unaltered by
people basing actions on this instructions - as the action and instructions
could be disconnected at any moment. For example, the instruction
(medication order) should not be changed by anyone just to give a medication
etc.

Sounds very reasonable. But I think that sometimes administrative entries
could also change the state of an Instruction, like when  scheduling a
procedure.

I asked Heather on that issue
(http://omowizard.wordpress.com/2011/07/11/anatomy-of-an-procedure-action-ar
chetype/) and her answer seems reasonable too: generaly scheduling tasks are
done on external administrative systems (LIS, RIS, ...) and them a message
is sent to the EHR to tell the Instruction had been scheduled.

But: how is that change of the Instruction state recorded on the EHR?

[HL>] The INSTRUCTION for a procedure remains unchanged, unless the
clinician changes the nature of the original order and this is carried out
with a revision of the committed INSTRUCTION.

The ACTION is recording the progress of activity in carrying out the
INSTRUCTION - ie the procedure is planned, scheduled, performed, completed
and at each of these pathway steps the appropriate data is captured eg what
procedure is scheduled and the scheduled time; and what/ when was actually
finally performed etc. What was actually done/performed/administered may be
different to what was originally ordered due to clinical circumstances etc -
the ACTION allows this evolution to be captured. Yet through all this the
original instruction/order persists as is.

Receiving a message from an external system could trigger the creation of an
ACTION?

[HL>] It could trigger the creation of an ACTION if received from a
scheduling system and there had been no ACTION created previously. That same
newly created ACTION could then be used to record the data against
subsequent pathway steps.

OR the message could be used to trigger an entry using the  existing ACTION
containing the Scheduled data against the Scheduled pathway.

Is that the way you have implemented that?

So the state of the instruction is carried in the record of the action (if
appropriate).

Is that recorded on ACTION.instruction_details.wf_details?

We have decided to name the pathway steps and attach a machine readable
state to that step. This makes it much easier for clinicians to model and to
see what is going on.

You will see an archetype ACTION in the openEHR repository and the
careflow_steps are archetyped to provide a name and the current state
matches an openEHR code for state. This means that a careflow step being
carried out will set the state to a particular machine state.

I think I saw that on the ehr_im.pdf as an example for "UK GP medicaton
order workflow".

As I understand it, this can be done by constraining the
"ACTION.ism_transition" attribute, with the Archetype Editor, for all the
ACTIONS that will be used to execute ACTIVITIES of the medication order
INSTRUCTION.

If that's right (?), maybe there's a bug on the specs, because
ISM_TRANSITION inherits from PATHABLE, and to be archetyped I think it
should inherit from LOCATABLE (see ehr_im.pdf page 53).

For the workflow definition, do you use the INSTRUCTION.wf_definition? I
can't find an example on how to express a workflow there (maybe something
like this could help
<http://doc.openerp.com/v6.0/developer/3_9_Workflow_Business_Process/index.h
tml>
http://doc.openerp.com/v6.0/developer/3_9_Workflow_Business_Process/index.ht
ml).

In our openEHR repository we maintain an instruction index - that is a
pointer to all instructions and all actions that relate to that instruction
- and the current state of the instruction.

Ok, so at an instance level, we should have all INSTRUCTION instances, the
current state of each instruction, and all the ACTIONs executed for each
INSTRUCTION/ACTIVITY.

That is a great implementation consideration, I'll add that on the openEHR
spanish course docs. :D

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Pablo.