Perhaps I responded to the wrong thread, I will repost what I said in
response to "Revision of Instructions - clinical implications".

When you order a lab test you actually need an Instruction to define the lab
test, and an action to put It into the ordered state.  The request time of
the lab test order is the time in the action with the ordered state.  An
instruction without an action is not yet executing within a workflow.

BTW, the workflow definition attribute is not intended to carry archetyped
data.  It is intended to specify the definition of a workflow executing
within a workflow engine or similar.  The workflow ID references the
instance of the workflow executing for this instruction.  We also use this
for real world non-computerised workflows, such as a lab order number to
allow us to keep track all the entries that relate to the same lab request
including observations and evaluation.

Heath