Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:00:57 +0000
From: thomas.be...@oceaninformatics.com
To: openehr-technical at openehr.org
Subject: Re: future ADL-versions

    On 23/03/2011 11:41, Bert Verhees wrote:

      The idea is to implement guideline/rules etc in Archetypes.
In this way you can force software to look at some conditions if some
other conditions are met.

As I gave an example: If bloodpressure > value -->> also look at heartbeat.

    this kind of thing is a (simple) clinical guideline, and needs its
    own representation. For one thing, BP and heart rate are in two
    different archetypes; neither is a sensible place to put the map of
    value ranges indicating normal / danger etc. This is the job of
    guideline languages and systems, on which decision support tools are
    based. Various reasons for this:

      consider that today's understanding of the BP/HR interaction
        leads to a condition of if BP/systolic > 140, next year,
        better science might tell us that in fact the right value for
        this purpose is 160. We don't want that value buried in
        archetypes.
      the above formula, is a condition + action, and actions may
        require their own formalisms. They could be done using
        archetypes actually, based on a reference model of 'action
        primitives', but they would still be completely distinct from
        the health data archetypes we use today.

    - thomas

      Bert