It sound as a very interesting proposal.

As you say, profiling ISO 21090 data types leads to several problems of
inconsistency and non-interoperability. And in terms of efficiency, our
tests using the new data types in LinkEHR are not satisfactory at all.

But my main question is if this initiative has possibilities of achieving an
official support from HL7. This is an important question to prepare the
future of current norms. This is what the 13606 says about the data types:

"It is recognised that, at the time of producing this standard, a new set of
health informatics data types is being developed by ISO TC/215. Once this is
published, CEN may choose to deprecate TS 14796 in favour of this new
standard. In doing so, it will need to provide a mapping correspondence to
the new data type standard, and this mapping will also need to be used in
order to adopt the new data types alongside EN13606-1."

Thus, while no official ISO 21090 profile has been defined and mapped to
existing TS 14796 (although there are some proposals), the last ones are
still the valid ones for 13606. If there is any possibility for this new
proposal of Grahame to succeed, it would be a waste of time to change
current data types working with 21090.

@Erik: CEN/ISO 13606 discussions take place at the Association forums and
wiki, to prepare inputs for the CEN/ISO committee. The data types topic is
one of the most important to work on.
Web and forums: www.en13606.org
Wiki: wiki.en13606.org

David