Thanks Bjorn,

That explanation was helpful in refining the issue.

I think we all agree that there is real requirement to allow
clinicians to work (visually, data-entry and querying) on their unit
of choice. We can try to manage / constrain the units available, more
appropriate at national level, as Sijje has suggested, but we are
still left wit the body weight example where g/kg are required at
point of care.

OTOH I understand Bjorn's point that having to deal with multiple
units at query / interface time seems needlessly complex and one
option would be to force the use of kg and make it the responsibility
of the app developer to do appropriate conversion / display. However
part of the purpose of building archetypes is to document this kind of
sort of real-world variation so that local developers do not need to
discover this for themselves. As such I am reluctant to force
archetypes to single units where conversion is possible.

I think Pablo is on the right track. I think we should take advantage
of the conversion rules where they exist which might allow units to be
aliased
e.g. body_weight/magnitude.asunit['kg'] which would force the
conversion of any kg units to g.

This could be used in queries, data retrieval or storage.

FHIR has the idea of 'canonical units'
http://www.hl7.org/implement/standards/fhir/search.html#quantity

"If the units are able to be coded in UCUM and a code is provided, it
SHOULD be a UCUM code. If a UCUM unit is provided in the codethen a
canonical value can be generated for purposes of comparison between
quantities. Note that the units element will often contain text that
is actually a valid UCUM unit, but it cannot be assumed that the units
element actually contains a valid UCUM unit".

Ian

Ian
Dr Ian McNicoll
mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859