Hahaha, it's good you always have LinkEHR in mind ;-)

By the way, this is certainly an old and recurring topic. I have checked
that there were already discussions back in 2009, so probably we are going
to repeat things already commented.

I will talk about artefacts (archetypes). The first thing to solve in my
opinion is to agree on what does "derivative work" mean for an archetype.
Is just modified archetypes? Auto-generated data base schemas, validation
schematron or other technical artefacts? Documentation describing the
archetype? I would love to say that only the first case applies, but let's
thing in an example. Which is the license for a movie you make from a
CC-BY-SA book? It is for sure a derivative work, and the Title 17 Section
101 of the Copyright Act of the United States says it very clear:

"A derivative work is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such
as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization,
motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment,
condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed,
or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations,
elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an
original work of authorship, is a derivative work." (
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/101)

Given that definition I don't think a technical transformation of an
archetype is a different case. So yes, I'm not a lawyer, but I would say
that fears of implementers of commercial products using openEHR archetypes
are reasonable if the the CC-BY-SA license is applied as is.

David