From: openEHR-technical [mailto:openehr-technical-boun...@lists.openehr.org] On
Behalf Of Birger Haarbrandt
Sent: den 25 januari 2016 22:57
To: Bert Verhees; For openEHR technical discussions
Subject: Re: Archetype relational mapping - a practical openEHR persistence
solution

Actually, we use such mappings to promote some "important" elements to
relational tables to get sort of indices on the data. Otherwise, I don't think
we would be able to do efficient ad-hoc cross-patient queries directly on the
database. Exporting data to I2B2 or SSAS would be inconvenient sometimes and
SQL still has some advantages.

BTW, is there an AQL implementation that is optimized for such "epidemiolocial
querying"? I think Erik Sundvall mentioned a hadoop-based research project a
while ago.

Best,

Birger

Bert Verhees <bert.verh...@rosa.nl<mailto:bert.verh...@rosa.nl>> hat am 25.
Januar 2016 um 18:42 geschrieben:

Another problem is you have to convert your object oriented model (which RM is)
to a relational model, which becomes complex in converting templates/aql to
SQL. I have been that way. More then five years ago I left it. It is difficult
doable, if you want a full featured openehr kernel. I would never recommend
going this way, unless someone has a really smart idea.

It can work for a light featured openehr light derived application model.

Best regards
Bert
Op 25 jan. 2016 15:26 schreef
"pazospa...@hotmail.com<mailto:pazospa...@hotmail.com>"
<pazospa...@hotmail.com<mailto:pazospa...@hotmail.com>>:

I talked about this approach with a colleague from China during MEDINFO. The
problem is your schema grows with your archetypes. Also, that storing data from
many templates that don't use all the fields in the archetype, will generate
sparse tables (lots of null columns). I told him it was easier to do an ORM
from the IM, because the schema doesn't change and allows to store data from
any archetype/template. But they already have a system working this way.

Sent from my LG Mobile