We also have a Final Degree Project where a student made a proposal for a
Visual Template Model. It's from 2012, for ISO 13606, and also in Spanish,
but the main idea probably remains the same :-)

I've been always in favor of having a third layer for visualization
purposes that defines some of the expected behaviors and the visual aspect.
As Erik said, this is not about reinventing what the existing UI frameworks
can do, but to have a way of instructing them on how to show the
information on screen.

--
David Moner Cano

Web: http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidmoner