Gerard, I like your rule (build a grammar that coordinates a vocabulary
of "atomic concepts" instead of agglutinating meta-concepts in the
vocabulary), but not your "left eye" example ;-)

In my own "universe", the "left eye" is a true physical object (when
"eye" is a concept).
I would say the same thing about the "left common carotid artery" which
is something you can actually "touch". Representing this concept as an
artery which belongs to the carotid network on the left part of the body
is not pre-coordination but rather what could be expressed by a semantic
network.

I agree with your "blue eye" example since it is simply "an eye which
color is blue".

To answer Mikael Nyström in the same message, I would be OK with his
conclusion about "the simple solution is to not use what you don't need"
if :
- this task had not been unsuccessfully tested by Belgian GPs, who
literally spent years trying to select a subset with no avail,
- this "language" was not advertised as a communication system... which
actually keeps you exposed to the full set unless everyone agrees to a
common subset (using Tom's proposals and Gerard's rule, for example).

Mikael is right when he says that it would be unfair to say that Snomed
"is bad because it isn’t optimized for [one's] narrow use case"...
unless there are lots of narrows use cases needed and unless one of
these narrow use cases is key to the next mainstream use case. If
innovators (typically the ones with weird use cases) consider Snomed as
a millstone around their necks, it is actually an issue worth considering.
As pointed before in this thread, this conversation is closely related
to HL7 V3 and its RIM before it was "fhired".

Best,

Philippe