Hi Ian,

it's likely I am just plainly wrong here (or just only a little bit), so let me elaborate and find out :)

My understanding is: there are some archetypes with terminology bindings on element level, for example the blood pressure archetype. When I am creating a composition based on the definition described in the archetype, I store the measured values, e.g. for the element systolic blood pressure. This systolic blood pressure Element has a terminology binding to SNOMED ([SNOMED-CT(2003)::163030003). However, I think in reality there is hardly an implementation that explicitly puts this SNOMED code into the name field of this element within a composition for every single measurement (what is the added information?). However, if you want to retrieve data, you might like to use SNOMED codes (or any other terminology) to _identify the paths_ that match your code (this is how I understood the question of Georg).

Even when you had all the codes put into your compositions, AQL would still not be able to find out to which path this belongs, you need to be explicit about the technical path.

To my knowledge, there is no way to use the terminology bindings defined on the archetype or template (say "metadata") level to retrieve data from compositions using AQL, if they are not explicitly stored in the particular instances of elements (e.g. the name attribute) within a composition (which I feel would be sort of a redundant information as the semantics of the element in the path should be invariant and are already defined in the archetype).

Hence, what I have in mind is a look-up of all elements with a matching terminology binding that provides the candiate paths which will then allow to build your AQL query.

Best,

--
*Birger Haarbrandt, M. Sc.
Peter L. Reichertz Institut for Medical Informatics (PLRI)