Birger, you are in the right path.

We do something similar to your proposal in LinkEHR, when working with
transformations of data. we developed several functions to gain access to
the archetype ontology and metadata while processing data instances, such
as getText(atNNNN, LANG), getDescription( atNNNN, LANG),
getTermBinding(atNNNN)... Sometimes they are useful while working with data
instances. And the same is applied to AQL.

In my opinion, it would be interesting to study adding add a set of such
functions to AQL, to be available in any implementation. They would help to
interact with the archetype structure and metadata properly.

David Moner Cano

Web: http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidmoner
Twitter: @davidmoner
Skype: davidmoner