Hello,
I have some problems concerning the formulation of an AQL query.
I would like to check a laboratory analyte within a laboratory test. The analyte should have "Calcium" as analyte name and I would like to receive all EHRs that contain the analyte as the query result. The SELECT part seems easy, as I just want the EHRs, so this looks like this:

SELECT e

A problem I now have is about the nesting of the Archetypes. As the test is an OBSERVATION and an EHR contains only COMPOSITIONs, I wonder if I have to include a COMPOSITION in order to reach the tests. This would lead to a FROM part looking like this:

FROM EHR e
    CONTAINS COMPOSITION
        CONTAINS OBSERVATION b[openEHR-EHR-OBSERVATION.laboratory_test_result.v1]

The next problem I have is about the definition of the containment of the analyte in the FROM part or better in the WHERE part. The FROM part would require me to define the actual nesting structure of the test-OBSERVATION up to the analyte-CLUSTER. This would look like this:

FROM EHR e
    CONTAINS COMPOSITION
        CONTAINS OBSERVATION b[openEHR-EHR-OBSERVATION.laboratory_test_result.v1]
            CONTAINS HISTORY
                CONTAINS EVENT
                    CONTAINS ITEM_TREE
                        CONTAINS CLUSTER c[openEHR-EHR-CLUSTER.laboratory_test_analyte.v1]

This looks a bit bloated, so I think this should rather be moved to the WHERE part, which would look like this:

FROM EHR e
    CONTAINS COMPOSITION
        CONTAINS OBSERVATION b[openEHR-EHR-OBSERVATION.laboratory_test_result.v1] WHERE b/data[at0001]/events[at0002]/data[at0003]/items[at0097]/items[at0024].value = 'Calcium'

In this WHERE path I am wondering about the necessity of the path part predicates (i.e. the [at...] parts). Are these predicates always necessary for every path part ? Or are they only necessary when the path part object would be ambiguous without the predicate (e.g. in the items of CLUSTERs or ITEM_LISTs) ? Furthermore I wonder about the namespace from which the predicates are taken from. For the first part of the WHERE until the archetype slot is reached (i.e. b/data[at0001]/events[at0002]/data[at0003]/items[at0097]) the predicates are from the laboratory_test_result archetype. For the rest of the path (i.e. /items[at0024].value) the predicates are taken from the laboratory_test_analyte archetype. This switching of namespaces seems wrong, so I think I still have some misunderstanding of AQL concerning the predicates.

How would the correct query/queries look like ? Are there multiple valid alternatives to express my query using combinations of the approaches scetched above ?
Greetings
Georg

Dipl.-Inf. Georg Fette      Raum: B001
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-85516
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: georg.fe...@uni-wuerzburg.de