I've answered this question a few times, but for the life of me I can't
seem to find any of those emails.

In short, we used to run/test OpenEJB on JDK 1.2 regularly, but we
stopped about a year ago.  All the build scripts and code should still
work with 1.2, but I can't say for sure what needs to be done. I seem to
remember from those days that you needed the sun's RMI-IIOP 1.0.1
package because the javax.rmi.RemotePortableObject class wasn't part of
the JDK 1.2.
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/rmi-iiop/1.0.1/index.html

Try downloading that and rebuilding 0.8.1 as Alan described.

I also remember that if you tried to put the J2EE 1.2 RI (j2ee.jar) in
your classpath, it caused problems as the RI would try and steal control
from OpenEJB by answering JNDI calls and such. So, don't go that route.

Incidentally, none of the people who have asked this question recently
has ever gotten back to us on what did/didn't work.  So, if you give us
some notes on the subject, we can be sure to put them in an FAQ on the
website.  It would be greatly appreciated.

-David