On 10/05/2011 03:35 PM, Khem Raj wrote:
On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Philip Balister<phi...@balister.org>  wrote:

1) I do not want rpm in the image. This would confuse my customer base.
2) I am tired of dropbear, I want openssh only.
3) I need the full versions of tools, not the busybox ones.
4) I am not limited to gpv2 software.

Richard, it looks to me like we should add an item for the next Yocto
development cycle to review how images are built and try to make the base
stuff in oe-core more usable by everyone. We need to define what choices are
made by distros. For example opkg, rpm, no package management in image.
Images may want dropbear or openssh.

Short term, I think I'll copy the tasks/images into my bsp and get some
stuff together for testing. I'd like a better long term solution though.

There always will be customizations needed. But we can strive for
better basic blocks

Sure. The immediate things I noticed are rpm being installed and lack of a way to chose between dropbear/openssh.

I think it is worth having a conversation to find out if when can make it easier for users to create images, with a small number of knobs to turn.

Philip