On 2018-02-14 9:46 AM, Mark Asselstine wrote:
On 2018-02-08 03:22 PM, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
Last commit and release were in 2009; website is down; it's a dead
project.

Add MarkA who might care/know more about latencytop than I do.

I believe Bruce had already identified LatencyTop as a dead end by the time we
even did our first release of OVP (I have no recollection of ever including it
and there are 0 user stories in Rally which would validate my memories on this
subject). Just in case I have added Bruce to the list. We already had LTTng
and FTrace, including a mostly dead Intel project was not a priority if I
recall correctly.

Not everything needs new features constantly, and if they aren't
causing build issues .. I tend to be ok with keeping them around.

There are uses, and users for latencytop.

That being said, I can just add it to meta-realtime, and it can
be dropped from core, since the userbase doesn't justify it in
oe-core itself.

Cheers,

Bruce

MarkA

Is there another package that makes use of the kernel feature?
The kernel Kconfig has been tweaked in 2017:

     commit a34a766ff96d9e88572e35a45066279e40a85d84
     Author: Josh Poimboeuf <jpoim...@redhat.com>
     Date:   Mon Jul 24 18:36:58 2017 -0500

       x86/kconfig: Make it easier to switch to the new ORC unwinder

and there are people updating latencytop on github last year:
     https://github.com/namhyung/latencytop/commits/master
commits on some random github page. That's shocking I know but it
does indicate that there's still interest in the tool even if the
original authors haven't been maintaining it.

../Randy

<snip>