On Tue, 2020-03-24 at 18:12 -0400, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 07:57:27PM +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:

> > > Thought so - were there any meeting minutes from back then? Sorry
> > > for
> > > being so
> > > persistent, just trying to find some paper trail... :)
> >
> > Yes, there is a record. You can find it quite easily. I don't need
> > do this for you...
>
> All I could find is OE TSC minutes from 7 May 2013 referring to some
> related
> list discussion:
>
> https://lists.openembedded.org/g/tsc/message/369?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,PACKAGECONFIG,20,2,0,72188707
>
> (9:47:21 AM) RP: bluelightning: I think this was to PACKAGECONFIG
> more recipes
> (9:47:28 AM) bluelightning: ah ok
> (9:47:36 AM) RP: bluelightning: remove the need to bbappend, have
> people set mode config options
> (9:47:51 AM) bluelightning: and PACKAGECONFIG to enable deps on
> things
> outside OE-Core as well presumably
> (9:48:01 AM) bluelightning: (as discussed on the ml a few weeks ago)
> (9:48:06 AM) fray: yup

Well found. There is clearly more context behind that even back then.

> I spent last couple hours digging through my archives of
> openembedded-core and
> openembedded-devel lists around that time (Spring 2013), but besides
> general move to enable PACKAGECONFIG in recipes, I didn't see
> anything specific about crossing layer boundaries by PACKAGECONFIG
> dependencies, unfortunately. And it was a wild time - all the energy,
> extra activity, conflicts, flamewars - that definitely brought up
> some memories re-reading those discussions again... :)

:)

I'm sure this has been discussed, I just don't remember where/when
unfortunately.

I do believe the conclusion is right though and I believe there is
enough general acceptance we can document it as such. If anyone
objects, the TSC can discuss it but I'm not seeing that being requested
unless there is more context to this discussion than I'm seeing.