On 02/06/2020 19.58, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 5:17 AM Rasmus Villemoes
> <rasmus.villem...@prevas.dk> wrote:
>>
>> There are cases where one doesn't want ldconfig on target (e.g. for
>> read-only root filesystems, it's rather pointless), yet one still
>> needs ld.so.conf to be present at image build time:
>>
>> When some recipe installs libraries to a non-standard location, and
>> dutifully drops in a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/foo.conf, we need the
>> ld.so.conf containing the
>>
>>   include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
>>
>> stanza to get those other locations picked up.
>>
>> So change the packaging logic so that there's always an ld.so.conf
>> present when the build-time ldconfig runs.
>>
>> The ld.so.conf and ld.so.conf.d/*.conf files don't take up much
>> room (at least not compared to the 700K binary ldconfig), and they
>> might be needed in case ldconfig is installable, so leave them
>> alone.
>>
>> In case of a read-only rootfs, one could add some logic to remove them
>> if one really wants to shave those few dozens of bytes off.
>>
>> While here, fix typos in the bb.note (add spaces) so one can just
>> copy-paste the line from the log-file and redo the command.
>>

> The patch, in essence, looks ok, have you considered the feeds based
> distro's case
> will it keep working for them, or if there are changes e.g. they must
> include ldconfig
> compulsory etc. then it should be documented.

I don't think I understand the question. All I'm doing (now) is making
sure the rootfs always (well, it comes bundled with glibc, so for all
glibc-based systems) has a ld.so.conf. If there's an update of that
ld.so.conf, that will change the hash of the glibc recipe (it's a
SRC_URI) and hence of both the glibc and ldconfig packages. A change of
the provided ld.so.conf will lead to glibc being rebuilt (no?), which I
expect in turn will cause glibc on target to (need to) be updated (no?).
That seems to be the case with or without this patch.

But maybe I have no clue what a "feeds based distro" is, I've only ever
done wholesale replace-the-entire-image (in an A/B setup).

Rasmus