On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 15:51:53 +0100
"Richard Purdie" <richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> I understand. I have strong evidence that the current handling of such
> a case does the wrong thing though as copying the data from the
> original inode leads to pretty bad corruption in its own right.

Yes.

But if you had to choose between (1) discard the possibly-bad data,
and (2) abort(), 2 would be a MUCH better fix.

Don't treat this as a thing to be worked around. Treat it as a giant
red flag that *we no longer have a sound reason to think that the
database is valid*.

> In many ways I'd like to make these corner cases hard errors. In order
> to do that we need to ensure we're not hitting them though and to do
> that we need the next patch.

Yeah.

> Once we have the ability to ignore subtrees, we could just hard error
> for the potential corruption cases and force those issues to be
> addressed properly.

I think that is the right path.

-s