T: +31 (0) 499 33 69 69
E: mike.looijm...@topicproducts.com
W: www.topicproducts.com

On 05-03-2021 00:32, Randy MacLeod wrote:
On 2021-02-05 2:49 a.m., Mike Looijmans wrote:
I've been doing quite some tests and things last week, my conclusion so far is that the latest gcc seems to trigger a bug particular to this CPU. Maybe even this particular batch.

Hours of testing found no issues with RAM.

I've also done huge amounts of builds with zeus, no problems.

Then googling for "illegal instruction gcc ryzen 1700" reveals quite a few threads on something that sounds suspiciously similar. Though it makes me wonder why I never encountered it before, since these are all many years old. I did try a bunch of the suggestions done there, but so far no luck.

Any update on this bug Mike?
Have you opened a YP bug? If not please do.
I'd like to see if the problem still happens on master.

So far I've discovered that this only happens when compiling for an aarch64. When targetting 32-bit ARM the compiler crash does not occur.

I've contacted AMD for an RMA for my CPU, but it's out of warranty now. I plan to borrow a compatible CPU to see if that makes the problem go away. If it does I'll just buy a new CPU...

As an example, if I take the current gatesgarth branch and meta-raspberrypi, then building for "raspberrypi4" runs without a hitch. If I chose "raspberrypi4-64" as MACHINE, the build will crash multiple times, typically on large components like the linux kernel, qt and boost. It happens on both plain C (kernel, u-boot) and on C++ code (boost, Qt). The same applies to e.g. the Xilinx Zynq, building for the 7-series (cortex A9) is fine but building for the MPSoC (cortex A53) will crash.

A silly workaround is to run "while ! bitbake ... ; do echo again; done" which will retry until it succeeds.

I'd be very interested if there's anyone with Ryzen setup who can reproduce this, or fail to, which is also interesting to know.

I also tried building in tmpfs and on a different SSD to rule out the NVME as a cause.

I'll try the master branch too, and report back on that (tomorrow probably).

../Randy

Met vriendelijke groet / kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert