On Mon, 22 Mar 2021, Andre McCurdy wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 12:50 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpj...@crashcourse.ca>
> wrote:
> >
> >   more a style issue than anything else, but one of the other
> > oddities in this layer i've been handed is the bbappending to
> > standard OE images, so that recipes-core/images/ contains recipe
> > files like:
> >
> >   core-image-minimal.bbappend
> >   core-image-minimal-dev.bbappend
> >
> > and so on. that just creeps me out -- my plan is to forcefully
> > advise people to leave the stock images alone, and create clearly
> > internal, proprietary ones, like:
> >
> >   acme-core-image-minimal.bb
>
> A clearly internal proprietary image would remove the reference to
> oe-core from the image name, so "acme-image-minimal.bb" rather than
> "acme-core-image-minimal.bb".

  ah, quite so, that would be better.

> > that inherit or include, then do the adjusting.
> >
> >   or is that approach considered acceptable? (it just makes me cringe,
> > personally.)
>
> I don't know. Adding to the core images doesn't seem like the worst
> thing someone could do. After all, it's normal to add to or modify
> the package groups which go into the core images (either directly or
> indirectly by changing distro features).
>
> Creating your own dedicated images is cleaner and clearer though.

  my view is that i like to leave the stock images as they are for
testing purposes -- if the proprietary image has problems, you always
have a stock image to use as a baseline for testing. so that's being
added to my list of "please don't do stuff like that."

  more weirdness coming shortly ...

rday