more a style issue than anything else, but one of the other oddities
in this layer i've been handed is the bbappending to standard OE
images, so that recipes-core/images/ contains recipe files like:

  core-image-minimal.bbappend
  core-image-minimal-dev.bbappend

and so on. that just creeps me out -- my plan is to forcefully advise
people to leave the stock images alone, and create clearly internal,
proprietary ones, like:

  acme-core-image-minimal.bb

that inherit or include, then do the adjusting.

  or is that approach considered acceptable? (it just makes me cringe,
personally.)

rday