On Mon, 3 May 2021, Andre McCurdy wrote:

> On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 7:55 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpj...@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> >   colleague asks a simple question (and i'm not in front of my dev
> > box at the moment so i can't verify what i'm about to suggest):
> > how to add the header files in a given "-dev" package to the host
> > component of the SDK?
>
> The implication of that is that you want to use a header file from a
> host component of the SDK to be able to compile additional tools etc
> to run on the host after the SDK has been created?

  i am *assuming* that's the plan, but i was provided with no actual
rationale, only asked how to do it. i'm going to harangue people
tomorrow regarding what they're after.

> Normally the SDK tools etc which run on the host are all compiled as
> part of creating the SDK, not afterwards.

  that's my understanding but, again, i'm just responding to a very
specific request; i guess we'll soon see if that's the right approach
to what they're looking for.

> >   i haven't spent a lot of time messing with SDKs (that is about to
> > change), but as i read it, if one wants to add the contents of any
> > given development package to the host SDK, it would look like:
> >
> >   TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK_append = " nativesdk-fubar-dev"
> >
> >   i have no idea what the rationale is here, i'm just trying to
> > address the question, which in addition asks, "if you add something
> > like that to the host side, is it automatically added to the target
> > side?"
>
> It's not.

  i was pretty sure it wasn't but i tried a number of examples just to
be absolutely sure. however, i did notice something i didn't
understand. (this is my first foray into messing with SDKs so these
will be simple questions.)

  as a test, i built a core-image-minimal for qemuarm64, then started
playing with:

  TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK_append = " ..."

to see what was added to the host manifest file.

  when i added:

  TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK_append = " nativesdk-expect"

then, sure enough, that package was added to the host manifest file.
however, when i added the -dev package:

  TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK_append = " nativesdk-expect-dev"

then *both* packages were added, as in, the regular package was
dragged along with the -dev package, which *seems* reasonable, but
where in the code (class file?) is this processing done? put another
way, under what circumstances will adding a -dev package to the host
portion of the SDK necessarily add the primary package?

rday