Hi Alex,

Am 05.10.2021 um 21:17 schrieb Alexander Kanavin:
On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 at 19:44, Stefan Herbrechtsmeier <stefan.herbrechtsmeier-...@weidmueller.com <mailto:stefan.herbrechtsmeier-...@weidmueller.com>> wrote:

     > A layer with thousands of recipes seems totally intractable.

    What is your concern? The high number of dependencies or to handle it
    via OE?

Generating recipes with a tool means the tool will be custom and non-standard, and chances of anyone outside of your company
understanding, using and contributing to it are rather small.

Why can't we extend devtool add / createtool to generate multiple recipes? As bonus we can check if a recipe already exist?

There's also the problem of needing multiple versions of the same thing for different
consumer items, which oe doesn't easily support.

The common approach in OE is to add the (partial) version to the recipe name. On the other side the major version of an npm package doesn't indicate the real API breakage. The major version is also increased if a support for an old Node.js version is dropped.

Furthermore I would extend the approach from the link with a symbolic link inside the node_modules of the package itself. This allows a recipe to use a specific version. It is also possible to track a map between npm (package.json) version and OE name so that the generator could select the correct OE DEPENDS. But I haven't the experience how often you really need an older version. In my test most of the maintainer doesn't update the dependencies or the package is orphan.

The link Robert provided already exposes some of the pain points with that approach.

It also exposes the pain points with the current approach.

I tend to think the best way forward (or least painful at least) is to gradually improve what there already is, which is the npm class and devtool, and send patches to various upstream njs projects when they're using outdated dependencies or otherwise need changing.

How many patches have you send to upstream npm packages and how many were successful?

My feeling is that the chance of success isn't high especially deeper in the dependency tree.

Regards
  Stefan