On 06.10.21 11:18, Stefan Herbrechtsmeier wrote:
Hi Konrad,

Am 05.10.2021 um 21:29 schrieb Konrad Weihmann:

On 05.10.21 21:17, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 at 19:44, Stefan Herbrechtsmeier <stefan.herbrechtsmeier-...@weidmueller.com <mailto:stefan.herbrechtsmeier-...@weidmueller.com>> wrote:

     > A layer with thousands of recipes seems totally intractable.

    What is your concern? The high number of dependencies or to handle it
    via OE?

Generating recipes with a tool means the tool will be custom and non-standard, and chances of anyone outside of your company understanding, using and contributing to it are rather small. There's also the problem of needing multiple versions of the same thing for different consumer items, which oe doesn't easily support. The link Robert provided already exposes some of the pain points with that approach.

I tend to think the best way forward (or least painful at least) is to gradually improve what there already is, which is the npm class and devtool, and send patches to various upstream njs projects when they're using outdated dependencies or otherwise need changing.

Alex

Just to chime in :-), I like to question this approach of having multiple versions of the same in an image. As already outlined npm is horrible in many ways, but using the lockfile approach multiplies that even more. But I tend to agree that using the currently available oe-core code would be suited best for a broader audience

But this audience loose the some basic features of OE (ex. version and CVE check) and have to manual fix or ignore the licenses.

- in your own layer you simply can do whatever you like.

But this make it impossible to share recipes. Why don't we create a meta-nodejs with a different approach to avoid doing the same thing multiple times.

We could, but we have to think about the costs and ways to properly maintain it - and that seems to be the main reason. You could come up with a repo of your own and see who is interested in joining the development (as I for instance did with a repo for ruby gems) - still this would be hosted and maintained outside of core I think, due to the limited time and resources available.

And **most important** the repo has to provide its own means of testing/CI.

BTW I remember I had a talk with someone last year about it and putting a bunch of angular based apps into an image, with all npms as separate recipes resulted in ~100k of files.

so CI and testing has to be extra beefy to make it work - which maybe requires a good portion of automation, which then brings me back to Alex's suggestion to provide some patches to devtool, if there is a need for that.

While personally I think in the long run, every npm dependency has to be provided as a recipe of its own (even I know the costs of that pretty well)... esp when CVE checking and basic packaging hygiene should be enforced.

Why should OE provide a solution with doesn't support this? I think this is a main feature of OE.

It actually does, but having this lockfile based approach, basically crams up all into a single recipe, which makes it a bit harder to check and whitelist any false positives or n.a. items, as you might have to do it for more than one recipe - but yeah, the basic CVE checking is part of core and works as expected

Nevertheless for oe-core I wouldn't want to change a lot right now, as there is simply a valid set of consumers missing that could enable us to do some proper testing. But yeah fixes/improvements for devtool are very welcome (also the available docu might need a touch)

My problem is that the current approach doesn't support the build of an express or angular application. Does it makes sense to add this feature if we know that some basic OE features are missing (CVE and version check) and fixing bugs is a nightmare?

Just my personal opinion would be, to open up a layer on your own and let it grow and mature first before getting it in into core - but patches to devtool are very welcome

Regards
   Stefan