Funny you mention PR.

It would also help if recipes staying on the same version
but adding patches for e.g. CVE fixes should increase their
PR value so their rebuilt versions can be put into a package repo.

Throwing away the buildroot (as suggested any time some obscure
build error happens) and restarting a complete image build
resets the autopr value so the repo would contain packages with
the same r0.0 release string and the package manager doesn't know
that the package is newer.