Hi Alex,

Am 07.12.2022 um 17:21 schrieb Alexander Kanavin:
On Wed 7. Dec 2022 at 16.28, Stefan Herbrechtsmeier <stefan.herbrechtsmeier-...@weidmueller.com> wrote:

    Hi Alex,

    <j...@mediatomb.cc> wrote:
    >> I think this should be documented more prominently, as missing
    information
    >> on how to get going was the biggest obstacle, at least for me.
    The benefit of
    >> this workflow is, that no additional layer is needed and that
    everything seems
    >> to more or less work out of the box within the usual checkout.
    > Thanks for the report, I totally agree that the rust recipe workflow
    > should be documented somewhere in the official manuals, I'm just not
    > sure where. Perhaps the 'common tasks' in
    > https://docs.yoctoproject.org/dev-manual/index.html ?
    >
    > Can you write and propose a patch to the documentation repository?

    Is the recipetool obsolete or why we have yust an other tool to
    create a
    recipe in oe-core?

Which another tool are you referring to? Cargo bitbake is a 3rd party project, one that I am not recommending to anyone in any way. And having a class to update or create a list of crates does not preclude its use in recipetool. Patches welcome.

A bit of politeness would be welcome too, Stefan, seriously. Watch your tone.

Sorry for the harsh tone but you ignore existing tools and add just another tool to oe-core without mention any reason or document it. Do you really expect that somebody will patch existing tools if main developers ignore existing tools and provide new tool for their use case? Why should somebody improve an existing tool, extend the documentation, add tests or even upstream its work if these same requirements don’t exist for the main developers. It looks like the requirements for foreign and main contributors are different and this doesn't encourage people to participant. Maybe this is only my personal feeling and I apologize my harsh tone, but the acceptance of patches should be comprehensible, and expectations should be the same for everyone. Should others answer to your comments that their solution doesn’t preclude your suggestion and that they welcome patches? For sure it takes more time to add rust support to recipetool but I think a second tool without a clear reason in oe-core hurts more in long term because its now unclear if new features (like checksums or licenses support) should be added to this tool or if this tool is only a temporary solution and should be replaced by recipetool in long term. Furthermore, this class is marked as a class for a recipe but shouldn’t be inherit by a recipe and manipulates a file inside the meta data.

Regards
  Stefan