On Wed, 2023-07-19 at 07:53 +0000, Piotr Łobacz wrote:
> I'm running this on docker with ubuntu 22.04 LTS and I have patched
> tar 1.34 with the patch I have given to you. I know that it contains
> these parameters, but they are faulty - meaning the ACLs do not
> preserve uid/gid in tar archive.

Are you saying we need to patch tar in order for these patches to work?

> Nevertheless this concerns me that opkg-build command should not
> fail. Additionally I have tested yesterday running my build without
> acl and xattr in DISTRO_FEATURES and it also worked for me - without
> applaying acls and xattrs to tar archive.
> Generally I need to reproduce your error and it seems to me that
> there is no other option as to re-create exactly the same environment
> on my machine locally, so I could investigate it.
>
> My question is how can we achive it in the simplest way? Does
> autobuilder use a docker for building?Because if so, I could take
> these docker scripts, run them and check what's happening.

The autobuilders are standard installs of various distros. We keep them
matching upstream and the list of installed software minimal.

There are more issues in this patch series. For example there is this
reproducibility issue:

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/117/builds/3219/steps/13/logs/stdio

which is saying there were two sets of different ipk packages produced.
These are available here:

http://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/repro-fail/oe-reproducible-20230718-bn_npkdc/packages/

sadly the automatic diffoscope output wasn't generated.

Worryingly this report suggests the opkg-build change is not
deterministic.

FWIW this is just with the opkg-build change and the bitbake.conf
change, not the other patches.

These two changes alone also cause these warnings:

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/76/builds/7436/steps/12/logs/stdio
https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/76/builds/7436/steps/18/logs/stdio
https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/44/builds/7509/steps/21/logs/stdio

e.g. things like:

WARNING: core-image-sato-1.0-r0 do_rootfs: [log_check] core-image-sato: found 4
warning messages in the logfile:
[log_check] Warning when reading ar archive header: Pathname can't be converted
from UTF-8 to current locale. (errno=84)
[log_check] Warning when reading ar archive header: Pathname can't be converted
from UTF-8 to current locale. (errno=84)
[log_check] Warning when reading ar archive header: Pathname can't be converted
from UTF-8 to current locale. (errno=84)
[log_check] Warning when reading ar archive header: Pathname can't be converted
from UTF-8 to current locale. (errno=84)

so there is a further issue to investigate there.

All in all, there are a lot of issues with this patch series :(.