Everyone keeps telling me how great these auto generated change logs
are and yes, they can be helpful but they are also piling pressure on
me as everyone has their own preferences and personal "triggers" for
issues. I keep getting told how XXX shouldn't have merged without YYY
being tweaked but the tweaks/triggers vary per person. I also get told
a changelog is better than none and that we shouldn't be spending time
on it. I can't win.

I'm feeling bad that I haven't written down the things that are causing
issues so I'm now trying to do that here.

One general issue is that we can often delete the "Source: ZZZ" lines.
They're good to explain where the data came from, we don't need to keep
them in the final commit message in most cases (unless they're urls?).

Taking some recent examples of other tweaks that need to be made:

"appstream: upgrade 1.1.6 -> 1.2.0"

This one has a truncated log. We added a test to patchtest to warn
about that, patchtest warned but it is still queued. At least one
manual review missed it too. We may want to up the auto-truncate limit
slightly.

"python3-pdm: upgrade 2.28.2 -> 2.29.0"

This as a github changelog. These are more readable/shorter if you
strip out all the github PR links. We really don't need them. It also
needs linewrapping. If someone doesn't linewrap it manually, I get
complaints.

"libksba: upgrade 1.8.0 -> 1.8.1"

This has a lot of noise in it and isn't well formatted. The commits
hashes, dates and people can be stripped down. It can be reduced to one
or two lines.

"re2c: upgrade 4.5.1 -> 4.6"

github pull request link can be dropped

"librepo: upgrade 1.20.0 -> 1.21.0"

Are the prefixes with the commit hashes useful? Should those prefixes
be stripped?

There are probably other issues but those are probably the most common
tweaks I've been making.


So in summary:
 - could/should the Source: be after the scissors if non-url?
 - can we strip out the github urls for pull requests?
 - can we linewrap the data better?
 - can we drop commit hash refrerences?
 - should the truncation limit be slightly higher?

Cheers,

Richard


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#244932): 
https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/message/244932
Mute This Topic: https://lists.openembedded.org/mt/121049514/21656
Group Owner: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/unsub 
[[email protected]]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Reply via email to