On 08/07/2017 03:09 PM, Jussi Kukkonen wrote:
New feature release, see
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2017-June/034286.html
for the major features. This is the last major release to support
autotools.

Looks like 2017 is when autotools is finally being replaced en masse by various projects, particularly those related to gnome stack. Even relatively large projects like gstreamer are going forward with it. The replacement is meson, whose advantages over autotools are major, and disadvantages are minor:
http://mesonbuild.com/

Ross and I have done some work on bringing meson support into oe-core. One recipe has been fully migrated to meson (including tricker bits like gtkdoc, and gobject introspection). Going forward that will be the default when a project has both that and autotools, and of course we should be ready for the situation when autotools support is removed from the upstream altogether.

http://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded-contrib/log/?h=akanavin/meson
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=akanavin/meson

Alex