Hi Fabien,

thank you again for your effort to display your commitment to free and open source software, especially in the following line:

we can put a clause on the contributor agreement: if one day, something
developed by openerp is not open source (under one of the gnu licenses) the
copyright goes back to the community. I do not know the legal impact of such a
thing but it's clearly in phase with what we want to do with OpenERP.

There is already such a section in the FLA to this purpose [1], which states

KDE e.V. shall only exercise the granted rights and licences in accordance with the principles of Free Software as allowed under the text of the charter of KDE e.V., version of September 26, 2006. [...] In the event KDE e.V. violates the principles of Free Software, all granted rights and licences shall automatically return to the Beneficiary and the licences granted hereunder shall be terminated
and expire.

Having a contributor agreement with such a clause would sufficiently warrant your commitment to open source for us to sign over the copyright on our contributions to the framework and official modules to OpenERP SA.

This does not mean that we now waive the idea of a membership foundation to promote and protect the OpenERP products. Setting it up means that the issues which you mention need to be dealt with (legal status, membership terms, etc.), but such a foundation would be another instrument to establish sustainable collaboration in the OpenERP ecosystem. We will leave it as a wishlist item for now.

To the people who vented a lack of trust in OpenERP SA in this thread: It would be constructive if you could see a contributor agreement as a way for OpenERP SA to commit themselves to open source and try to regain your trust. Would such an agreement need to state additional terms and conditions to satisfy your concerns?

On behalf of Therp,
Stefan Rijnhart

[1] http://ev.kde.org/resources/FLA-generic.pdf, section 3 paragraph 3.

--
Therp - Maatwerk in open ontwikkeling

Stefan Rijnhart - Ontwerp en implementatie

mail: ste...@therp.nl
tel: +31 (0) 614478606
http://therp.nl
https://twitter.com/therp_stefan