On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Fabien Pinckaers <f...@openerp.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > I even have a very personal question:
> >
> > did you guys at OpenERP SA anticipated those 2 issues:
> > 1) incompatibility between AGPL modules and private modules?
>
> No, we missed that point. When we understood we missed that point, we
> updated the FAQ within 2 days.

Yah, so no wonder I made some noise. I would say 30% of competitive
advantage of Akretion is the Magento connector, with over 24 man months of
expert investment from several companies (deeply locked in AGPL if you
want). An other 30% is he Brazilian localization we did at 98%.
Both are AGPL and and hence not compatible with private modules, something
you present as a feature of your main offer. So we cannot be in line with
your new marketing... That's 2 years of investment, we had some reasons to
feel pissed of just because you didn't think about
the incompatibilities you introduced overnight and even made the insult
not acknowledging it for nearly a week during which you started presenting
your new licensing scheme publicaly. I tried very actively to make you aware
of that, even 2 months ago privately when he double license was 1st
suggested. I regret deeply it never made its way.

At some point you screw former ally Axelor when you moved from GPL to AGPL
(but that was perfectly legal) putting an end to their offensive private
SaaS secret ambitions. And now that yourself reached some critical mass, by
moving back to some kind of paid GPL, you are "involuntarily" you tell,
screwing us contributors who contributed under AGPL. Even if this was not
the intention, I don't think that is paranoia to fear you are using those
licensing oscillations along with the fake gold partners thrown in front of
the real professionals, to try to run alone on the track...

At least we aren't all people that just focus on development and forget
about the general context. OpenERP is hard to get working so many people
around are rather smart and picky. So my advice is that even if you don't
care that much at OpenERP SA, in order to avoid that kind of trouble, please
double check your moves and communications before altering licences and
marketing position, this will avoid such miss-interpretations if those are.

But I think this illustrate our rants aren't just "noise" deserving
censorship from the official lists. Actually we are often right and we
aren't heard and we then have no other way than keep ranting but loudly this
time. Hope OpenERP SA will listen more at us in the future then, it will
obviously avoid such troubles.

> > 2) how private module permission is supposed to be renewed every year
> > and how this ties users to the editor in ways that have nothing to do
> > with open source?
>
> If a customer stops paying OpenERP Enterprise and uses private modules,
> we will ask him to publish his own modules under the AGPL licence. It
> seems fair for me.

I don't question "fair". Now I wonder how compatible with AGPL this is. I
would love o hear the free FSF about it. May be it's compatible, but I would
love to read it.

> > Finally those are all communications details, but I think they have
> > their importance before one point finger to somebody. Let's focus on the
> > agreement and license exception then.
>
> Yes, I will be able to propose an agreement around the 15th of august.
> This agreement will be based on a common one (like the FSFE one). I will
> do an agreement that includes a clause that guarantees that, if
> OpenERP's license is not open source one day, the copyright goes back to
> the community. -> of course, it's not our intention at all but it's just
> in the case I die or the OpenERP SA company goes into financial
> difficulties. (I expect both to never happen, at least before 60 years :)

Sounds very fair at first sight. I would love a catch free version.
Hopefully others can give their point of view. At Akretion we need to
analyse this more quietly and discuss it with other integrator's too.

In any case, thank you Fabien for moving this forward now. I hope most of us
come to a constructive agreement.

Thanks.

Raphaƫl Valyi