Hi Lionel,
I mismatched purpose of the project, sorry.
However, we should be agree about how store data in software.
And, in order to store data for all, we have to know how every data is coded by regional and local people.

So, what localized data we wish manage in this project?
I would like:
1. Local address format
2. Administrative division of countries (may be NUTS)
3. Postal code zone (aka ZIP)
4. Domestic bank, may be useful to check IBAN
5. VAT structure: all EU countries have similar VAT tax
6. Is vatnumer checked by OpenERP for all countries?
7. Some countries, like Italy and Spain, have also the fiscalcode; in Italy a business may have 2 vatnumber

In my mind, a common country table defines data structure that every local team manages indipendently.

What do think about?