Tim.Churches wrote:
> David Forslund wrote:
> > Molly,
> >
> > Incorporating OSHCA in the US doesn't necessarily imply US domination.
>
> No, but US citizens need to be sensitive to the negative feelings
> towards the US which are present and growing in many countries around
> the world. Whether this antipathy towards the US is justified depends a
> great deal on one's standpoint - and I don't think we should debate it
> here - but it definitely exists and is remarkably pervasive - in some
> countries it is the dominant attitude, in others, it is present in a
> sizeable minority of the population.
This certainly is too bad as the characterization of things in the US by
the press outside
the US is certainly not very factual or unbiased.

> Given these attitudes to the US, incorporation of an international
> organisation in the US may be perceived negatively by some would-be
> participants in OSHCA, and certainly by many potential funding or
> collaborating bodies, such as the WSIS. Thus it *is* a practical
> consideration.
What about unwarranted bias against the US that some organizations might
have?

> > I did not hear an
> > answer to my question about the possible necessity of incorporating
> > OSHCA in multiple countries.
>
> Yes, that may be necessary, but OSHCA should cross that bridge if and
> when it comes to it. There is no need for immediate, simultaneous
> incorporation in many countries in the first instance. If the need for
> incorporation elsewhere becomes apparent, then the necessary steps can
> be taken. But let OSHCA walk before forcing it to run a cross-country
> race.
It wasn't clear why it needs to be incorporated anywhere.  I thought
Molly talked about "registration".

> > I didn't understand Tim C.'s comment about there not being freedom of
> > political expression in Malaysia.
>
> I was alluding to the case of Anwar Ibrahim - see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_Ibrahim - amongst others. But that
> was a while ago now, and Mahathir has retired. This happens in many
> democracies from time to time - see for example
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mccarthyism
>
> > How does that fit with a form of democracy?  I just read this week in a
> > Australian paper about a government
> > official threatening to jail non-Muslims if they were "perceived" as
> > insulting Islam.  These types of things concern
> > me if an international body is to be organized in such a country.
> > Perhaps this information is totally erroneous?
>
> Such things are often misreported. However, OSHCA is unlikely to ever
> make insulting comments about Islam or any other religion for that
> matter. In fact, the only religious topics which might be discussed are
> emacs vs vi or Java vs Python or Ruby. Thus I can't see why such things
> are of concern with respect to where OSHCA is incorporated. Note that
> incorporation of OSHCA in Malaysia or anywhere else has no impact on
> your freedom of speech as an individual, even if you are also a member
> of OSHCA.
>
> Tim C

It isn't that OSHCA would deliberately do such things, but when the
interpretation is by a government official
and an action is perceived to be offensive, it could run into trouble
and have no recourse.  This would be
counterproductive to the advancement of OSHCA's principles.  I actually
think that multiple organizations
that work together might be better, if people would have the energy to
do so.  This is the same as the
organization mentioned as an example.   Open Source issues in the US may
well be different than in other countries,
but we should all work together to promote the general cause, which
OSHCA as presented could do.

Dave