Hi Fred,

This is a topic I have been trying to address for years.

In France, practitioners are mainly using the kind of software whose
main selling argument is to imitate paper. Since I have always been
developing information systems based on highly structured information, I
have always been looking for evidence in favor of "advanced health IT
against office dedicated systems".

And I reached a dead end!

The first reason for this is that when I tried to convince medical
doctors that it is a nonsense for them to only use Electronic Document
Management systems when they should use group-ware and project
management systems (I mean, some way to work as a team around patients),
they clearly don't get the point. The usual answer is that MD have
always communicated through reports and cannot even imagine working
another way.

The second reason is that highly structured information mainly allows
for knowledge management (KM). When I graduated, it was called
Artificial Intelligence, but KM is a better term. And, as a guy that
managed to have practitioners use a system that hosts a bunch of
"knowledge sources" (the kind of smart agents that are controlled by a
blackboard), I can tell you something highly disturbing : any medical
doctor will restrain the information she stores to the data that her
brain can easily process (optimizing the signal/noise ratio). It means
that this "complex information that smart agents could process for her
benefit" is simply not there! (with the exception of Risk Management,
because it is considered "complex enough" for the MD to be willing to
feeding agents with the data they need).

The solution to this is rather straightforward: just switch to
continuity of care, as the place where practitioners work as a team and
share a lot of information they are not used to processing with their
brain (say, they cannot restrain the information that get stored and
will suffer from a low signal/noise ratio). But when you just reach this
point, there is high chance that you realize that your customer will
probably never be a practitioner ;-)

This is the dead end... the moment when you realize that this box is too
small and that, unless you are able to provide the proper tools for a
paradigm shift, there is no use trying to sell advanced systems in a
context where they will never really work.

Philippe Ameline