On 2013-01-18 09:22, Flo wrote:
Why do you use a MTU of 9000? Only for the higher performance or for the
lower CPU load?

Basically, because we can ;-\
I don't remember really benchmarking before and after; it was just a
recommendation we followed when I was young and tuned that network:
bulk data and database IO which stayed inside the LAN were published
on both a legacy net and on a private jumbo vlan for hosts with shiny
new gigabit interfaces.

Hi Jim

thank you for your advice!

I don't know, if the broadcom nics are powerfull enough?
I tested the throghput with iperf with MTU 1500 and MTU 9000.
With 1500 I got 945Mbit and with 9000 I got 985Mbit.

With the newest Solaris version, there is no need to edit the driver
config file. Is this also possible with OIa7 or is it possible to
activate the new config file without a reboot?

FWIW, on a Solaris 10 Sun V240 I see this config tweak in bge.conf
(back then Broadcoms were the brand of choice for Sun):

# diff bge.conf-*
157,170d156
< # see http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=48569
< # http://www.sunmanagers.org/pipermail/summaries/2003-December/004776.html
< # http://blogs.sun.com/shantnu/entry/opensolaris_project_brussels_unified_nic
< #default_mtu=9000;
< #default-mtu=9000;
< #default_mtu=8000;
< default_mtu=1500;
<
< # interface bge0
< #name="bge" parent="/pci@1f,700000" unit-address="2" instance=0 default_mtu=1500; < #name="bge" parent="/pci@1f,700000" unit-address="2" instance=188000 default_mtu=9000;
<
< # interface bge3
< name="bge" parent="/pci@1d,700000" unit-address="2,1" default_mtu=9000;

and in /etc/hostname.bge3 it spells "mtu 9000" after the node name.