On 09/25/2014 15:31, Carl Brewer wrote:

I wonder, I've tried in the past to bump this box to 151a9 but had
problems with messy pkg errors that I didn't have the time to sort out -
how stable is hipster these days?  Stable enough to run a LAN server
with a couple of Virtualbox VM's on it?

Honestly, I don't know :)
Usually if something is broken, it's desktop-related soft (as it's harder to test thoroughly). I think that in the nearest future Sun DHCP server will be removed from illumos-gate (and our users will immediately see this). I run several test VMs and VMs which I use in my courses (VirtualBox, VMware and KVM guests, but no OI host). There was no anything completely catastrophic. However, sometimes some issues appear (don't know if /dev has them). I think, you can try. Note, that dev => hipster updates are not supported now. The best way to install is to use install CDs: http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,