On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Jim Klimov wrote:

Maybe a stupid question on my side (sorry i'm overwhelmed with relocation and other life events), but how really is this bug exploitable? Especially on Solaris and illumos systems with sh/ksh by default and assumed no scripted CGI (hosts of native or java sourced web-code though) ?

It is readily exploitable for web CGI scripts which provide/export values provided by the web server and remote client as environment variables. The "CGI" paradigm has thoroughly permiated web application infrastructures. The exploit requires that bash be executed with the problematic environment variables already set. Service applications obtained from Linux often require bash in order to run.

On my own systems, the only service I found which was suspect was 'git' and 'gitweb.cgi' since the 'git' implementation depends on many shell scripts, which specifically depend on bash.

For example, this is output from the test-cgi script provided with Apache:

CGI/1.0 test script report:

argc is 0. argv is .

SERVER_SOFTWARE = Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) DAV/2
SERVER_NAME = www.simplesystems.org
GATEWAY_INTERFACE = CGI/1.1
SERVER_PROTOCOL = HTTP/1.1
SERVER_PORT = 80
REQUEST_METHOD = GET
HTTP_ACCEPT = text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
PATH_INFO =
PATH_TRANSLATED =
SCRIPT_NAME = /cgi-bin/test-cgi
QUERY_STRING =
REMOTE_HOST =
REMOTE_ADDR = 65.66.245.66
REMOTE_USER =
AUTH_TYPE =
CONTENT_TYPE =
CONTENT_LENGTH =

and this is output from a Perl script called 'printenv' which prints everything made available:

DOCUMENT_ROOT="/html"
GATEWAY_INTERFACE="CGI/1.1"
HTTP_ACCEPT="text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8"
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING="gzip, deflate"
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE="en-US,en;q=0.5"
HTTP_CONNECTION="keep-alive"
HTTP_HOST="www.simplesystems.org"
HTTP_USER_AGENT="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; SunOS i86pc; rv:30.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0"
PATH="/usr/sbin:/usr/bin"
QUERY_STRING=""
REMOTE_ADDR="65.66.245.66"
REMOTE_PORT="53877"
REQUEST_METHOD="GET"
REQUEST_URI="/cgi-bin/printenv"
SCRIPT_FILENAME="/var/apache2/cgi-bin/printenv"
SCRIPT_NAME="/cgi-bin/printenv"
SERVER_ADDR="65.66.246.89"
SERVER_ADMIN="webma...@simplesystems.org"
SERVER_NAME="www.simplesystems.org"
SERVER_PORT="80"
SERVER_PROTOCOL="HTTP/1.1"
SERVER_SIGNATURE="<address>Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) DAV/2 Server at www.simplesystems.org Port
80</address>\n"
SERVER_SOFTWARE="Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) DAV/2"
TZ="US/Central"
UNIQUE_ID="rExdoEFC9koAAEJpoxgAAAAJ"

--
Bob Friesenhahn