We have no power to create stable distribution, either based on /dev
or /hipster. Period.

I hate to give an advice without contributing into development, but here it is.

IMHO the all-in-one product is too complicated. The best approach would be starting over from scratch (bare Illumos) and create a minimalistic distribution with basic GUI and basic GUI server admin tools (network management, package management, services start/stop, firewall management, etc.). Of course this is not a proposed roadmap for OI, this is an idea for a new project. Absolutely obvious idea, nothing new.

There is the Illumian distribution, which follows this approach. But it lacks GUI - the key component - and this is why it did not gain popularity (hope Garrett D'Amore reads this). Add basic GUI and GUI server admin tools - and I don't need OI anymore.

Happy holidays to everyone!
Dmitry.