In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Building OpenIndiana from sources,...:

Thanks for answering my post. I have been reading a lot of the
documentation and will do some more reading over the next couple of days in
preparations.

Although I am still not sure where the main build branch is to create the
LiveCD of OI (Hypster),

hipster, not Hypster.  Though I like Hypster too!  :-)

Also, don't confuse the process of building an individual package (a
"component") like 'desktop/cd-burning/brasero' with the process of
assembling a bunch of packages into a distro.  If you're starting
by trying to build a LiveCD, you're starting at the point when all
the packages should already have been built and published to one or
more publishers (think: yum repo).

it seems that these are the important locations:

https://github.com/OpenIndiana
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/slim_source

OpenIndiana is the umbrella, if you want to get comfortable with the
process of building individual packages, you probably want to start with
oi-userland.

My next steps, I am guessing, will be to install OI on some native hardware
so that I will have a build environment in OI to build OI LiveCD and then I
will try to do a basic complete build without modifying anything. If that
goes well then I can investigate taking out packages from the LiveCD.

Sure.  You wouldn't need native hardware for that, you could do it in
a VM with enough disk and other resources.

I would like to see how small I can make the actual LiveCD with GUI.

Understood.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)